Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Tales of an Aspiring Wedding Planner

Since moving to Dallas and starting my job as an associate wedding planner, the most common question I get is “what do you do every day?” See, everyone knows that wedding planners are busy on the rehearsal and wedding days, but what about Monday-Thursday? Well, friends, I am here to answer that question. Sorry in advance for the lack of pictures…I felt I needed to spare you from that horrific sight.

A typical day involves waking up, usually no earlier than 9:30, making breakfast, and turning on my morning news staple: Today with Kathie Lee and Hoda. Then, I proceed to check my email which usually keeps me busy for a while.

Most of my days include responding to emails from different vendors about meetings, events or general questions. I also spend a lot of time talking to potential brides who are interested in our services. It’s a lot of fun to talk with brides who are recently engaged and excited about the planning process—or brides who don’t have a clue where to start. Actually, those are my favs.

After that, I will check our current brides task lists and schedule meetings for them, follow up with their progress and update their spreadsheets. Really, my job is just to make sure nothing gets slipped through the cracks.

I also spend aaaa llloooottt of time on social media. Partly for myself, obvi, and partly to keep up with current wedding trends, publications etc. If we are published or advertised, I need to find it and post about it. I write a blog twice a week and update Facebook and Twitter as needed. I also read other wedding blogs from all over Texas and the United States to make sure we are up-to-date on trends.

We also host a networking event for wedding professionals and brides every other month that I am involved in planning. This is a fun, laid-back atmosphere for brides and vendors to mingle and meet new people in the industry. It’s always a fun time when you combine wedding vendors with free alcohol.

Some days are spent running errands, attending meetings and touring venues…but most days I do all of this from my apartment living room. When I first started working from home, I thought it would be fabulous, and don’t get me wrong, it is pretty fun! But when your motivation for showering and wearing anything other than tights as pants is gone, you know you need to get out more. I love the flexible hours and the ability to be in a relaxed, comfortable environment, but I really miss human interaction. Sometimes I venture down to Starbucks just to see and start random conversations with strangers.

So, there you have it. The typical day in the life of a budding wedding planner. Or something like that. Also, if you have a gmail account, chat me. It’s a staple in my work social life.

No comments:

Post a Comment