Saturday, March 30, 2013

Ms. Holt: My jump to teaching

Since we last spoke, I am not longer planning weddings day and night. I made a career switch, and jumped into the world of education.

When I was in college I figured out that I wanted to be two things: a teacher and a wedding planner. I had NO idea what that looked like or if it would even be possible. After graduation, I received an amazing opportunity to move to Dallas and work for an amazing wedding planning company where I learned more than I could even begin to tell you. But something just didn't seem right. I wasn't being challenged or fulfilled the way I thought I would be in my career path. So, after much prayer and research, I started my trek to becoming a teacher a little sooner than expected. 

For the last 8 months, I have been working in a small, Private Kindergarten classroom at a Preschool in Garland. I cannot tell you how much I have grown over the last few months. I have been challenged physically, mentally and emotionally. I have learned to be patient when I'm restless, enthusiastic when I'm exhausted and optimistic when I feel down. 

Teaching has been hands-down the hardest thing I have ever done, yet I feel like it is exactly where I am supposed to be.

A lot of people look shocked or puzzled when I tell them that I left a career in wedding planning for teaching, but for me, it makes sense. I don't doubt that I will continue to plan weddings (which I am still doing for my friends and friends of friends) but education is a field that I feel called to. And for now, I am staying put. 

Thank you for all of your encouragement and support over the last year. Currently, I am beginning to substitute full time to (hopefully) secure a full-time teaching position in a public school. Another phase complete and I am SOOOO looking forward to the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment