Sunday, May 19, 2013

Ethiopia: July 2013


A few weeks ago I ordered my very first passport, and on July 26th it will receive its very first stamp. To say I am exited would be an understatement! But all that excitement doesn't come without its share of anxieties as well. 

Let me back up...

Even though my spot-on British accent might fool you, I have never traveled anywhere. 
ANYWHERE! 

(**Unless you count my family's road trip to the Canadian border where I almost got us detained by the border patrol for mistakingly telling them we had suitcases full of firearms instead of fireworks as "international travel"
 ... which, for these purposes, we won't**) 

So, when an opportunity came around for me to pack up my bags and travel across the world to share the name of Jesus, I was a little nervous. Okay, I was a lot nervous, but that's beside the point. I've known and had a relationship with Jesus for as long as I can remember, but sharing my faith with others wasn't something I really ever did. I wouldn't ever shy away from a conversation about God's Word, but I wouldn't be going out of my way to share anything with others, as well. Does that make sense? I had my little comfortable box and I was perfectly happy inside of it. 

BUT all of that changed last year when I found out that God has opened the door for me to go on a short-term mission trip to Ethiopia with e3 Partners Ministry and my home church, Watermark Community Church, this coming July. My team of about 25 people will partner with Ethiopian Christians as we meet, work and build relationships with the people of Assela, Ethiopia. This could be anything from children’s/VBS, men’s & women’s outreach to assisting in the daily jobs of the residents. The purpose of this trip is to build relationships and share Christ with Ethiopians who have never heard the name of Jesus.

After watching some of my closest friends go through some pretty horrible stuff and losing friends & family members who hadn't completely committed themselves to Christ, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of thankfulness for the hope we have in Jesus. The hope we have in the fact that WE DON'T HAVE TO FEAR DEATH, because Jesus defeated it on the cross! Does that make pain any less real? No. But it does make eternal life that much MORE real. And without that promise, I'm not sure this life would be bearable. Can you imagine never knowing about Jesus? Let alone, never even hearing his name?! Not knowing about the HOPE readily overflowing in Him? 

That's why I feel called to go to Ethiopia. 
To tell them about Jesus and His life. To tell them that He loves each and every one of them, and by accepting His life as truth, they no longer have to live in hopelessness or pain. And to share the truth that "God is light and in Him there is NO darkness at all!" 

I'll admit: I don't have all the answers. Not even close. But the beauty of living in the grace of God is that I don't have to. He doesn't expect me to. What he expects me to do is fully commit myself to being a tool, or vessel if you will, for Him to use.

Some people love the thrill and excitement of a new adventure...a land unknown. Not this girl. I like things the way they are: comfortable. I eat lunch at the same places, I get my gas at the same gas station every week, and I even still sleep with the doll that I've had since birth. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is hard. It puts you in a place that's emotional and definitely vulnerable. Paul tells us to call on His name and we will be saved, but before we can call on His name, we have to HEAR of His name. In Romans 10:13-15 it says:

“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in?
And how can they believe in one of whom they have not heard?
And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
And how can they preach unless they are SENT? It is written,
‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!’ “

He never said it would be easy--or comfortable...
He calls us to be sent, to go. And that's exactly what I'm doing.

To find out more about how to prayerfully or finically support me, check out my e3 Partners page. 

Thank you to my amazingly supportive family and friends for encouraging and supporting me in this journey so far. I am so incredibly thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment